Monday 31 October 2011

Quick update for you...

Another quick update for you as I feel I should put some effort into writing this.

I'm not too sure how the others are getting on, so I'll let them tell you, but heres my highlights since the last updates...

Juliette has been having some issues in the past with ride height issues (way too low for practical use) so thats left 3 options; a) Use a different car, b) coilover suspension or c) change the springs.

Option a is simply a big fat no-no, and option b is a potential for when work picks up but is a bit pricey at the moment so option c has come into play.


Everybodies favourite shop (eBay) has yielded a couple of bargains for me this week. I've been thinking whethera 60mm drop is the way forward and whilst looking for guidance from the big chavvy cab in the sky, I found a set of 30mm lowering bendy bits at 99p, no reserve smiling at me with a couple of days left on them.

I watched these, refreshing the page as if daring the price to rise, but it sat there at 99p. It appeared no-one wanted to show these springs love and as the end time came closer, I decided it would be the sensible grown up thing to do to buy them.


The auction ended at a whopping 99 pence. That was Thursday, it's now Monday and the seller hasn't yet got back to me to let me know when I can collect them. I'm hoping he's not gonna be stroppy about them going for so little and gets back to me.

I'm thinking about a set of 17" multispokes to fill the hole left by the car raising up so much, just need to pray to the eBay fairies for another bargain to reveal itself although one of my neighbours has a spare set he's considering parting with.

That leaves only 3 real issues (plus a few niggles) with the car before it is battle ready... The rear shocks, the fusebox and the MOT.


I have a feeling that the MOT isn't going to be an issue, it seems fine, the last MOT had advisories about brakes (now replaced with RS ones on each corner), shocks (get to that in a minute) and something else which I can't remember but know it was something Ash addressed / swapped when we put the new engine in. May have a slight issue with emissions, but should be ok.


After months of headscratching and cleaning earths around the car it's come back to the decisin the fuse box is knackered. In the last 6 months, the poor thing has gone through 3 and the current one is a little bit of a bodge. It works, but it drains the battery, so if the car isn't taken for a run it needs jumping.


The rear shocks issue is now solved courtesy of eBay again. Jamex Rear shock and springs should be on their way to me shortly so thats cool. I don't need the springs so they'll go back on eBay and being brand new, hopefully, they'll get something back against the cost of the shocks.

At the current rate, Ash is buying an RS2K ever week for weird projects/donors so hoping to steal one of his fuseboxes when he's not looking (although he may guess who the culprit is when I hand it to him and ask him to fit it to mine).



The route is nearly set, the days are nearly in place, Juliette is on her way to being ready and the world is a shiny happy place? Sort of.



**************************************
Foot note - just checked my emails and the chap has got back to me about the springs - I'm going to go collect them (couple hours round trip) soon ish. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment